Chelsea was called to serve in Tampa Florida for the next 18 months

Chelsea was called to serve in Tampa Florida for the next 18 months

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Longest email ever... SORRY! 4-7-14


> Can we just talk about how amazing conference was for a second? Holy cow...
> If you didn't get a chance to watch it. No worries! It's online! Think
> about it, If Adam, Noah, Abraham, Issac, Moses, or Jesus Christ himself
> was broadcasting His words to the world would you listen? I know that may
> seem a little bold, but These men hold the same authority as prophets and
> apostles of old and this past weekend they spoke to the world about
> problems we face today! SO stinkn' cool!
>
> Side note before I continue telling you how amazing I think conference
> is... Some of you get emails from a certain missionary in Africa and last
> week he tried to justify why he has almost died on his bike like a zillion
> times. I just want to point out that I am combating a bunch of SUPER OLD
> people that still have drivers license!!! One of our members is 98, can
> hardly walk or see, has almost killed us like 10 times and STILL has a
> license! Seriously, I think everyone over the age of 80 should have a
> personal driver provided by the state... It would save SO MUCH MONEY AND
> LIVES!!! I just can't wait till they all go back up north for the summer.
> Randy and Colby can have all their old Canadian people back!!! However I'm
> sure it's hard in Africa... I mean they have like wild chickens and
> stuff... ;P How much more of a brat can I be? Maybe this is why President
> calls me feisty...
>
> Anywhooo okay back to something that actually matters....
>
> I was really impressed with the messages of conference. Particularly Elder
> Holland's talk from the Saturday morning session. He talked about how
> sometimes we expect God to be easy and kind and lovey dovey all the time.
> Well, He does love us and he is kind all the time, but Elder Holland
> reminds us if we don't expect God to put us through hard things and ask us
> to stretch then we don't fully understand our relationship to God. Christ
> himself told the rich man who had kept the commandments from his childhood
> that it wasn't enough. He asked him to give everything. All his wealth. The
> thing is though... He really doesn't ask much of us at all because when we
> do stretch and sacrifice for Him he blesses us more than we could have ever
> imagined and gives back 10X what we gave.
>
> I also loved Elder Packer's and Elder Scott's talk. Many of the speakers
> talked about their conversion to the gospel. I think sometimes we get stuck
> believing that people who have a strong faith were just given it. They both
> reassured us that they too had to pray and ask if the things they were
> being taught were true. They truly wanted to know so they studied it out
> and then asked. Another speaker pointed out some of the hesitations we may
> have to asking about something is that we are afraid to change. We know it
> will stretch us and that isn't comfortable. I had an experience last week
> that kind of made this talk hit home for me.
>
> We had interviews with our Mission President and in the interview he looked
> at me and said, "Sister Upshaw, You are an obedient missionary, but I want
> more, the Lord wants more. He wants EXACT obedience." I was kind of stunned
> by his statement and didn't really respond. He went on and talked about
> something else, but for the past two weeks I have been thinking about what
> he said. How the heck can I be MORE obedient? I am already following all
> the rules... He challenged me to find rules that were more suggestions than
> actual rules and follow them. He promised blessings in the work if I would
> do it. Unfortunately I decided that he had misjudged me and thought I
> wasn't as diligent as I felt I was. So I continued on exactly as I was
> doing before. I knew following his council would bring the blessings he
> promised, but I was prideful and I knew it would stretch me. I didn't want
> to change. Now it's not like I am going apostate over here. As he admitted
> I am already doing much good, but there is even more the Lord wants for me
> and the people here. President Cusick told me to test it out for 2 weeks
> and if I don't notice a difference then I can do whatever I want because
> clearly the promise wasn't true. There is a catch though. I have to do it
> without holding anything back! AKA "having real intent" haha
>
> It's the same with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Just
> test it out! Start by watching some of the videos from conference, or
> reading a little in the Book of Mormon, or even just going to church on
> Sunday. Then pray about it. It almost sounds too simple. It does take work.
> It requires effort, but it is so worth it. Think about it. Just like
> President Cusick challenging me to add to the blessing I am already
> receiving, that's what the Lord does. He just asks us to add to the faith
> we already have.
>
> Sorry this is like the LONGEST EMAIL OF MY WHOLE LIFE!! If you don't read
> anything else... then just watch these conference talks! They're awesome!
>
> Elder Holland's talk! -So good!
> President Uchtdorf's -on how to be HAPPY! Who doesn't want that?
> Aidukaitis (sp) -His is awesome if you can get past the accent. I just kept
> thinking about Gru from despicable me! haha
>
> I love you all so much! Seriously like a zillion times 10!
>
> -Sister Upshaw


From the balcony of someone they were teaching

I guess this was so that Dylan could see how rough she has it


No comments:

Post a Comment